If you have ever used false eyelashes, you are aware that applying them is not that easy as it may seem. It is particularly hard for those who do it for the first time. Hence, we have prepared some useful tips and tricks that will make the process much easier.
Eye shape and matching eyelashes
Before going into details, however, there is one important issue that you need to take into account when choosing and applying false eyelashes and that is the shape of your eyes. Most of us do not realize that this fact should be leading, when deciding how to make our lashes look fabulous. So here is what you need to know:
- You have almond eyes if your irises disappear into your upper and lower eyelids when you look straight ahead. This type of eyes is considered suitable for all type of false lashes.
- You have prominent eyes if your eyelids seem projected in the eye socket area. To balance the look, it is advisable to apply strip lashes on the bottom as well.
- If the crease on your eyelids is not visible, then you have hooded eyes. In this case it is better to use thin strip lashes which are not too long.
- If you have a more prominent brow bone, then you have the so called deep-set eyes. You need to opt for more length in the center of the false lashes that you use.
- If you have downturned eyes, then the outer corners of your eyes look as if drawing downwards. You need to have your eyes “lifted up” so use a shorter strip lash that has longer pieces in the outer corners.
In addition to the shape, it is also important to check if you have close-set or wide-set eyes. In order to check that, you need to measure whether the distance between your eyes is less or more than the length of one of your eyes. If it is less, then you have a close-set and it is better to use false lashes that are longer at the corners in order to make your eyes appear more divided. If the distance is more, then you have a wide-set and in this case opt for lashes that focus on the center and inner corner of your eyes.
Clever tricks for easier application of eyelashes
In order to apply the false eyelashes easier, there are a few hacks that you need to get used to.
- First you need to measure the lashes to make sure that they fit. Set the strip along your lash line and see if it is necessary to trim it. Start from where your natural eyelashes begin as any closer may irritate your eye. It is also advisable to end a few (2-4) eyelashes before the outer corner. Thus, the false strip will pass more naturally to your look.
- Once you are ready with the measurement, you need to trim the lashes. Cut them from the outside edge and not through the lashes.
- Make your lash band curvy. It is easier to apply the false eyelashes if they are curvy and not straight. There are few tricks that you can use to achieve the effect. You can wrap them around your makeup brush or any other cylindrical object. You can also adhere one end of the lash strip to the other, thus creating a mini crown. The other way to make the curve is by toggling the lash band between your fingers into a U shape. Note that eyelashes that are made of 100% human hair will bend easier.
- Apply the glue correctly. Place a thin layer of glue on the vein of the lash from corner to corner and wait a few seconds to settle before application. You can also use the double-adhesive technique and dot some glue along your lash line as well.
- Make sure your eye lids are oil-free. Oil prevents the adhesive from sticking well, so if your eyelids tend to be oilier, make sure to blot them first. Also, if you are using your falsies more than once, make sure to use oil-free makeup remover to take them off.
- Cut the eyelashes for easier application. You can also cut your falsies into two or three parts if you are struggling with their application. In this case you can apply part of them only to the outer corner of your eyes for a more natural look. If you cut the strip into three, apply the innermost section first and then continue with the middle and the outermost one. Do not cut thick false eyelashes, though, as it will be very visible when you apply them to your eyes.
- Look down and have your elbows on the surface for an easier application of the eyelashes.
- Clean your eyelashes by soaking them into hot water and washing up liquid.
Eyelash extensions – a better alternative
If you are tired of the process of applying and removing false eyelashes everyday, there is an alternative to that gorgeous look – eyelash extensions. Eyelash extensions can last up to 8 weeks and are much easier to wear than falsies. You don’t have to take them off before going to bed and you can easily go swimming with them. Besides, you can also wear makeup with them. You can find all the things you need to know about eyelash extensions here.
If you want longer lashes, you need to be creative with the falsies that you use. Following the tips above will help you achieve the results you need. Just never forget that the most important thing of all is to take good care of your natural eyelashes and you will always have a gorgeous look.